When “Sugar Ray’s” breakthrough hit song “Fly” put them on the map in 1997, lead vocalist Mark McGrath was thrust into the public eye. It’s no doubt the band maintains its momentum due in no small part to the good looks, charisma and talent of its front man, Mark McGrath.
McGrath first appeared with Sugar Ray (then known as the Shrinky Dinx) when he jumped on stage and grabbed the microphone. Two years later, in 1994, the band changed its name and landed a deal with Atlantic Records. Shortly after, in 1997, the band’s collaboration with reggae artist Super Cat resulted in the song “Fly,” which dominated the airwaves. Later that year, and following the success of their number-one hit, Sugar Ray released its second album, “Floored,” which went double-platinum. Sugar Ray’s success rocketed McGrath to pop-star status, as he graced the covers of “Rolling Stone” and “Spin.” He even made People magazine’s “Sexiest Man Alive” issue, named “Sexiest Rocker” in 1998.
After “Floored,” Sugar Ray released “14:59,” in reference to its fading “15 minutes of fame.” Ironically, the CD wound up outselling its predecessor, going triple-platinum with hit singles “Every Morning,” “Someday” and “Falls Apart.” Their success continued with the release of the self-titled album, “Sugar Ray,” which garnered the band it’s first-ever top-10 album.
The band has appeared numerous times on the Tonight Show, The Late Show with David Letterman, Carson Daly, and The Today Show's Summer Concert Series to name a few. In addition, McGrath has made guest appearances on the hit television dramas “Las Vegas”, “North Shore”, The Neighbors, The Office, Law and Order SVU and The Drew Carey Show to name a few. He has been featured on a number of MTV and VH1 programs, including the “Teen Choice Awards,” “My VH1 Music Awards,” “Rock ‘n’ Roll Jeopardy,” the “American Music Awards” and the “ESPY Awards.”
McGrath has hosted VH1’s “I Love the 80’s” and “The Greatest: 100 Most Shocking Moments in Rock and Roll,” and the primetime specials “The World Music Awards” and “Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show”, as well as Extra, Don’t Forget the Lyrics and Killer Karaoke on the Tru Network. He also appeared with Sugar Ray in the 2002 feature film “Scooby-Doo.” And has gone on to co-star in last summers Si-Fy thriller Sharknado 2.
Sugar Ray continues delivering the hits live and with the Summerland tour which combines great bands from the 90's and their top 10 hits, a big hit. Sugar Ray has a robust schedule of live dates scheduled and look forward to seeing everyone out on the road. “This is my life’s work,” he notes. “People say, ‘You’re still in the band?’ This is what I do! I’m gonna be in Sugar Ray till I die! I’ve been lucky enough to fit a uniform, I’m gonna wear it till the wheels fall off!”
- Over 8 million records sold
- The single “Fly” reached #2 on the Adult Top 40 charts, #1 on the Modern Rock Tracks, #1 on Top 40 Mainstream charts
- The single “Every Morning” reached #1 on the Adult Top 40 charts, #1 on Modern Rock Tracks, #1 on Top 40 Mainstream, #1 on Top 40 Tracks, #3 on the Billboard Hot 100, #1 on Top 40 Adult Recurrence
- The single “Someday” reached #3 on Adult Top 40, #7 on Modern Rock Tracks, #2 Top 40 Mainstream, #3 Top 40 Tracks, #7 Billboard Hot 100, Top 40 Adult Recurrence
- The single “Falls Apart” reached #6 on Adult Top 40, #5 on Modern Rock Tracks, #12 on Top 40 Mainstream
- The single “When It’s Over” reached #2 on Adult Top 40, #7 on Top 40 Mainstream, #6 on Top 40 Tracks, #3 on Top 40 Adult Recurrence.